Jan 8, 2009
Enjoy your music in your style with the Sony Ericsson W508 Walkman™ mobile phone
08 January 2009
Show your style with the customisable W508 Walkman™ phone. With eight changeable Style-Up™ covers to choose from as well as SensMe™, consumers can personalise the W508 to suit their mood and get a real hands-on interactive experience
Las Vegas, USA – January 7, 2009 – Enjoy music the way you want it with the W508 Walkman™ phone. Consumers can have the most interactive mobile experience as individual as they are, with clever technology such as Shake and Gesture control, SenseMe™ and TrackID™, as well as one extra Style-Up™ cover with the W508.
“The W508 Walkman™ phone builds on our iconic Walkman™ range and the successful W380.” said Alexandre Cardon, Global Product Marketing Manager (music) at Sony Ericsson. “For those who like to express their style and individuality through their mobile phone we’ve brought our creative design team in to design stylish changeable covers so that W508 offers a truly interactive and individual experience.”
Shake control and Gesture control allows you to become your own DJ with just a flick of your wrist – raise the volume or set the shuffle function by giving your phone a quick shake. Is that alarm getting to you? Switch it to snooze or mute the volume with a sweep of your palm without having to fumble for the off button.
The W508 also includes popular Walkman™ features such as SensMe™, for matching your mood to the music and touch keys on top to play, stop and skip tracks. A 3.2 megapixel camera, HSDPA and 1GB M2 card completes the W508 offering for any trend setter.
Can’t get that song out of your head but have no idea what it’s called? Use TrackID™ with text search and you’ll have the answer at a touch of a button. Also available on the W508 is PlayNow™ arena which provides a full range of mobile entertainment downloadable from your handset - unique themes and wallpapers, traditional and specially developed ringtones and music tones, a wealth of free content and of course DRM-free music tracks and TrackID™ charts from around the world.
The new W508 Walkman™
Walkman™ my style
* One extra Style-Up™ cover in the box – change your mobile phone with your mood
* Walkman™ player
* HSDPA – download content quickly with a faster web experience
* Touch music keys on top – switch tracks the easy way
* TrackID™ with text search – find your favourite songs in seconds
* PlayNow™ arena – customise your mobile phone with unique ringtones and wallpapers
* Shake control– skip through your tracks with a flick of the hand
* Gesture control - Move your hand above the W508 to mute an incoming call or put the alarm clock on snooze without touching it.
The W508 Walkman™ supports HSDPA 2100 and EDGE 850/900/1800/1900. The W508a supports HSDPA 850/1900/2100 and EDGE 850/900/1800/1900. W508 Walkman™ will be available in selected markets from Q2 in the colours Metal Grey and Poetic White.
The Sony Ericsson W508 Walkman™ at a glance
* 3.2 megapixel camera
* Up to 3.2x digital zoom
* Photo fix
* Picture blogging
* Video blogging
* Video recording
* Walkman™ player
* Album art
* Mega Bass™
* Bluetooth™ stereo (A2DP)
* Music tones (MP3/AAC)
* Shake control
* Access NetFront™ Web browser
* Web feeds
* Photo feeds
* Polyphonic ringtones
* Vibrating alert
* Video calling
* Text messaging (SMS)
* Chat View
* Picture messaging (MMS)
* Exchange ActiveSync®
* Instant messaging
* Predictive text input
* Sound recorder
* Auto rotate
* Gesture control
* Picture wallpaper
* Wallpaper animation
* 3D games
* Motion gaming
* FM radio with RDS
* Video streaming
* Video viewing
* Walk Mate
* Bluetooth™ technology
* USB mass storage
* USB support
* Alarm clock
* Flight mode
* Phone book
* Battery Charger
* 1GB Memory Stick Micro™ (M2™)
* USB cable
* Stereo PHF
* Sony Ericsson PC Suite
* Media manager
* User guide
* 1 extra Style-Up™ Cover
* Portable Speakers MPS-100
* Powerful, versatile and compact speakers
* FM Music Transmitter MMR-70
* Create your own FM radio station in an instant
* Phone Case IPC-40
* Protect your phone in style
Facts and Figures 1)2)
* Size: 93.5 x 50 x 14 mm
* Weight: 98 grams
* Metal Grey with one extra Style-Up™ cover:
* Sunny Orange, Forest Green, Architectural Purple or Mysterious Graffiti
* Poetic White with one extra Style-Up™ cover:
* Midnight Summer, Splashed Art, Radial Blue or Street Hip-hop
* Main screen: 262,144 colour TFT, scratch-resistant
* Resolution: 240 x 320 pixels
* Size: 2.2 inches
* External screen: Monochromatic OLED, scratch-resistant
* Resolution: 128 x 36 pixels
* Size: 1.1 inches
* Phone memory: Up to 100MB
* Memory card support: Memory Stick Micro™ (M2™)
* Talk time GSM/GPRS: Up to 10 hrs
* Standby time GSM/GPRS: Up to 400 hrs
* Talk time UMTS: Up to 4 hrs
* Standby time UMTS: Up to 400 hrs
* Video call time: Up to 2 hrs
* Music listening time: Up to 24 hrs
Availability and versions
* GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
* UMTS/HSDPA 2100
* GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
* UMTS/HSDPA 850/1900/2100
* Available in selected markets from Q2 2009.
1) Facts and features may vary depending on local variant.
2) Talk and standby times are affected by network preferences, type of SIM card, connected accessories and various activities e.g. games. Kit contents and colour options may differ from market to market. The full range of accessories may not be available in every market.
© Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB, 2009.
The liquid identity, TrackID, SensMe, Style-Up and PlayNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB. Sony, Walkman and Mega Bass are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Corporation.
Ericsson is the trademark or registered trademark of Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson.
TrackID is powered by Gracenote Mobile MusicID. Gracenote and Gracenote Mobile MusicID are trademarks of Gracenote, Inc.
Bluetooth is a trademark or registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG Inc.
Picture blogging is powered by Blogger. Blogger, YouTube and Google Maps are trademarks or registered trademarks of Google Inc. Google is a trademark or registered trademark of Google Inc.
Java and all Java-based trademarks and logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Microsoft and Exchange ActiveSync are trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved. Subject to change without prior notice.
Sony Ericsson is a top global industry player with sales of over 100 million phones in 2007. Diversity is one of the core strengths of the company, with operations in over 80 countries including manufacturing in China and R&D sites in China, Europe, India, Japan and North America. Sony Ericsson was established as a 50:50 joint venture by Sony and Ericsson in October 2001, with global corporate functions located in London.
FOR MEDIA INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Sony Ericsson Global Communications & PR
Mattias Holm: +44 208 762 6065
General Press: +44 208 762 5858