May 11, 2010

Sony Ericsson X2 Xperia Silver Unlocked GSM Cell Phone

My expectations were very high, and a bit misplaced
The Xperia X2 specs are impressive. Sony has crammed a lot into this little phone. I've used it for a little over a week.

Pros:
+ I like the form factor. But I appreciate business-like phones with no unnecessary do-dads. Smaller than my Nokia N900.
+ The keyboard is wonderful. I buy a new phone every 6 months and most have keyboards. This one is the best. Numbers are not across the top qwerty row, but rather they are clustered in a phone key pad arrangement. You'll immediately get used to it and makes for a lot less stretching of your fingers. Enter key is very large for a phone.
+ Headphone jack. Stereo speakers. Everything sounds great. Works with my Nokia, Jabra, and Plantronics stereo bluetooth headsets.
+ Home screen has several "panels" which change the home screen completely. These changes can be based on an event like time of day. I like the SPB shell panel the best, but then I'm used to SPB and I like densely packed home screens.
+ I installed Opera Mobile, Mocha VNC, WMWifi, and CorePlayer which are essentials for me. All work.
+ Phone calls are quite clear even on speaker phone.

Cons:
- Have to remove the battery frequently because the phone locks up.
- Came with a Euro wall adapter for the charger. No USA adapter.
- Performance on AT&T 3g network is poor. Internet services hang and often the phone has to be powered down to recover. All of the smartphones I've owned have significantly better internet performance on AT&T 3g.
- Media Player couldn't play any of my mobile video collection (divix, mp4, mpg1). It only recognized .wmv and was unable to play that without serious stutter and hang.
- CorePlayer, of course, could play everything in my mobile video collection, but it strained to play anything but the mpg1 files (400x240 var bit rate). Dropped frames and video tearing were the most common problems on divix and mp4.
- Email does not alert when the phone is in standby or locked. Only when you wake it, does it discover e-mails have arrived and then it plays the sound and updates the screen with the e-mail count. For me, it must alert on any message just like it does with an incoming call.

Conclusion:
Yesterday, I ordered an HTC HD2. The Xperia X2 is unusable for me. When the HD2 comes in, I'll give the Xperia away to a colleague who just makes calls, but goes through a lot of phones because his toddlers play with them and drool eventually kills the phones.

Source :

No comments: